If you want to keep your skin in optimum condition, the benefits of a Face Mask cannot be underestimated.
A mask is a great pick-me-up for tired or dull skin by brightening the complexion. It can also benefit oily or blemished skin as it removes excess oil and dirt. Or perhaps your skin is rough and dry and needs smoothing and hydrating?
A face mask used regularly can help the skin’s natural regenerative processes, encouraging the skin to shed dead skin cells, remove excess oil and balance the moisture levels of the skin.
They can be a better option for those with blemishes when compared to scrubs, as they can be more gentle and less likely to irritate the skin. For this reason I often recommend teens with pimples to use a mask rather than a scrub on their skin.
Essence of Wellbeing’s Clay Masks are blended from a selection of Australian Clays to bring the benefits of these to your skin. These masks are supplied dry so you can mix them with your choice of liquid.
You can choose to use simple water to mix your mask. (I prefer to use filtered water myself). Or for additional benefits, try one of Essence of Wellbeing’s Hydrosols. (I recommend Rose Hydrosol for most skin types, especially those who have dry or sensitive skin. Or you can choose Orange Flower for oily skins or Lavender for those with blemishes).
In addition you can enhance the benefits of your face mask further by adding other ingredients such as vegetable oils (especially for dry skin), fruit juices (such as lemon juice for oily skin) or fruit or vegetable purees. These are optional but can be a fun way of customising your face mask to your own skin. Have a look in your kitchen for more ideas!
Enjoying the benefits of a face mask at home is a simple and relaxing process.
How to Give yourself the Benefits of a Face Mask at Home
You will need –
- Your choice of Essence of Wellbeing Clay Mask (Choose Clarifying Clay Mask if your skin is in the normal to oily range or you have problems with blemishes or congestion. Choose Soothing Clay Mask if your skin is normal to dry, mature or sensitive.)
- a small dish
- a teaspoon or spatula
- Your choice of water or hydrosol
- Place about 1 teaspoon of your chosen clay mask in your bowl.
- Gradually add your liquid mixing well until you have achieved a paste similar inconsistency to toothpaste. You will need about a teaspoon of liquid but this can vary so proceed slowly.
- Add your extra ingredients.
- If necessary add a little extra liquid to achieve a texture that will spread easily over the skin.
- Apply mask to the face avoiding the lips and the areas around the eyes.
- Leave for at least 10 minutes. (Put your feet up and relax if you can!) Note – it is not necessary for the mask to dry completely. In fact if it feels uncomfortable as it dries it is fine to spray with a little hydrosol to moisten and soften the mask.
- Wash off the mask with a facecloth and warm water. Rinse very well to remove all traces of mask.
- Lightly spray face with hydrosol (Choose the most appropriate for your skin type).
- Finish with your choice of moisturiser for your skin type.
- Enjoy how fresh, clean and soft your skin feels!
For maximum benefits, I recommend using a face mask at least once every week or 2. It is probably best not to use one too often as the deep cleansing action is too much to use every day.
Enjoy the benefits of a Face Mask for your skin at home with these simple steps.