We are all washing our hands a whole lot more these days. (For many it’s been a wake up call about how dirty our hands can be!). So this is how you can make your own hand wash.
But what sort of hand wash is the best to use? You want a soap that will clean effectively. But at the same time, some soaps can be a lot harsher on the skin. Have you found your hands getting dry or cracked?
While I do use bar soaps, I also like to use a liquid hand wash. And my favourite is one you can easily customise at home.
The base to this mix is a Liquid Castile Soap, a product that is made from natural oils and ingredients, and which I find is more gentle on the skin than many commercial hand washes which are, in effect, detergents.
Using a gentle hand wash still gets you hands clean. But it does not tend to make your skin as dry as some of those other hand washes.
You can also customise your Liquid Castile Soap by adding essential oils. You can choose these for their therapeutic properties, or just use those whose fragrance you enjoy.
At these times when we are looking for benefits for the immune or respiratory systems, essential oils can help. They can also be beneficial for stress, tension and anxiety, depending on the essential oils you use.
To make your hand wask:
- pour your unscented Liquid Castile Soap into a bowl or jug. (I recommend using a glass or glazed ceramic container as these will not absorb or react with the essential oils.)
- then add your essential oils at the rate of up to 20 drops essential oil to every 100ml or Liquid Castile Soap.
- Stir well but slowly (so as not to create too many bubbles) until thoroughly mixed.
- then decant into a pump bottle (you can buy bottles here) or use a recycled hand wash bottle or a refillable bottle if you have one at home.
And there you are! Your own customised hand soap will make washing your hands something you look forward to rather than a chore!
If you are looking for some inspiration, here are a few combinations that I particularly like –
- 5 drops Lime Essential Oil
- 8 drops Orange Sweet Essential Oil
- 7 drops Grapefruit Essential Oil
- 8 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 12 drops Mandarin Essential Oil
- 10 drops Bergamot Essential Oil
- 7 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 3 drops Geranium Essential Oil
- 6 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 5 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 9 drops Lemon Essential Oil
Or try your own combination!